Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Virginia Chamber Orchestra General Music Resources

The Virginia Chamber Orchestra has produced a series of educational programs that can be used at all levels.  These were originally offered via television to schools in Virginia and are now available on the web site through George Mason University's Capitol Connections.  There are four programs but only three offer the free streaming video.  Student Activity guides are also available to download.

I'm currently using Wonders of Geography: A Musical Atlas of America with my special needs music class.  The student activity guide was a little too advanced for this group of learners so I have tweaked the ideas to meet the needs of my students.  They have enjoyed taking a virtual trip around the U.S. and the music associated with the different regions gave me a chance to incorporate the elements of music that we had just studied.    I'm planning on using The Musical Side of Thomas Jefferson for our next unit.  It's a great way to get some cross curricular teaching in!


Virginia Chamber Orchestra Home Page

No comments:

Post a Comment